Thursday 23 October 2014

On Gratitude, on Diwali

Whether through spiritual practices of yoga and meditation or simply being on a journey of finding peace within ourselves, time and again we hear the wise reminder - be grateful !

What does it mean to be grateful and why is it so important? Why does every blog we read on healing our hearts, letting go of the pain, enjoying the moment - include - be grateful? Today on the auspicious day of Diwali, that we celebrate with so much joy and gaiety in India and the world over, I peeped inside of me and discovered that my primary emotion was that of gratitude.

Honestly, I feel so full of gratitude this morning that I could burst into tears.  I registered that my gratitude aches for expression and I explore it here, spontaneously with you. I feel thankful for this beautiful life, for the unconditional love of my husband and for this divine bond of marriage that we share, for the ever-familiar, sometimes too-much advising, yet unshakeable love of my alive and healthy and supportive parents. I feel thankful for my elder sister - my ever the best friend. I feel thankful that God has blessed me with health, with good looks, with food and shelter and moments of laughter with my friends and people who care for me and I know will be there for me. Ah. Ain´t I blessed?





Gratitude does not mean life is perfect - it means we see it as perfect, just the way it is. We accept it, we embrace it and we rejoice in what is. And that is why gratitude feels so liberating. You no more feel the burden of the shoulds - and musts - of what can be and could be - but revel and indulge in the is, in what you do have - your current reality which is beautiful, if only you care to look close enough.

It is on a day like today that I also feel sad for people who do not experience thankfulness. Always restless, always focusing on what´s lacking, what´s missing, what could be better.

This diwali, I really truly hope, that you see the spark within yourself, amidst the light of the numerous candles. I wish for you that you forgive yourself for your failings, you quit being hard on yourself - whether you are lazy, or demotivated, or not doing enough - its OKAY! Look back and see all that you have already achieved - and be thankful. Feel the gratitude down to your toes and let it fill you up. Let it give you the peace that you deserve to feel within.  Let it remind you of the countless blessings you are showered with - that you can laugh and be happy without any regrets. Even if nothing ever changed after today, you still have so much to feel thankful for.

Happy Diwali :)

No comments:

Post a Comment